Yesterday went from server operations planning to general disaster prep. day. If you believe that a terrorist attack may be imminent or just that it is a good idea to prepare for disasters because they happen more often than you thnk. Our considerations involved 5 different aspects:
- Mail/File Server infrastructure (paid hosting in some non-target location with generator — survived blackout)
- Personal kit you basically always have with you (in your laptop case?) that is enough to get you home
- Grab-n-Go kit of things you need to get from your home to the safe-house.
- Meeting location in NYC to coordinate getting to safe-house (outside of manhattan — perhaps outside of range of India Point rector meltdown)
- Transport to safe house location (time to get a motorcycle?)
- Planning reentry to or abandonment of safe house if taken/occupied by others
- Safe house equipment prep (including assumption that power and water may cease functioning?)
If you are planning to attend burningman, some of this prep overlaps.