Most shelters would not allow someone to enter if he had a bottle of alcohol on him. As a result, the homeless men would chug the bottle dry just before coming in — a solution that was good neither for the drinker nor the shelter.
[…] “People thought it would be crazy to let them drink in here — the staff wouldn’t be safe,” Manuel says. “But just the opposite happened. They took great ownership of having a place to go. When you let them drink here, the drinking goes way down.”
And the risk of poisonings via the consumption of rubbing alcohol is greatly reduced.
Nanny State Blog